The Emily L. Knapp Museum is located in the Village of Brockport, situated on the Erie Canal in the state of New York.
The mission of the museum — an educational institution — is to collect, preserve, and provide access to the heritage and history of the greater Brockport community.
The History of the Museum
Once the Seymour family home, then the Seymour Library, and now the Emily L. Knapp Museum, the historic building at 49 State Street appropriately houses an extensive collection of Brockport’s past.
James Seymour, donated the Seymour family home to the Village of Brockport for the purpose of housing a library to be known as the Seymour Library. Seymour’s grandniece, Helen Hastings, then requested that a portion of the home serve as a Brockport Museum.
Hastings founded the Brockport Museum, and wrote much about Brockport’s history. In time, Helen was followed as museum director by Emily L. Knapp.
Knapp served as Village Historian and wrote many histories of Brockport in addition to directing the museum. She was dedicated to preserving the museum’s collection and the hard work of Helen Hastings — her devotion to the collection inspired the Village of Brockport Board of Trustees to name the museum for her in 1996.
Have a Brockport artifact?
We’re always looking to expand our collection.
If you have an artifact that relates to the history of the Village of Brockport, please send us an email at email@example.com.
In 1920, Emily Lyon moved to the United States from England, where she was born in 1916. She attended the Brockport Normal School and became Emily Knapp when she married Willis Knapp, a lifetime Brockport resident, in 1938.
Emily became Village Historian and has written many histories of Brockport, some of which are featured on this site. As Historian, Emily directed the Brockport Museum, preserving the museum’s collection, which was originally established by Helen Hastings, and her hard work inspired the Village of Brockport Board of Trustees to name the museum for her in 1996.
Emily Knapp passed in 1997, leaving her husband, Willis, two sons, Norm and Fred, and grandchildren.
Information for this biography can be found in Eunice Chesnut’s Encyclopedia of Brockport.